Setup WPML for Knowledge Base
BETA ONLY: Currently we are testing WPML with Knowledge Base. Please use this document for testing purposes only. This feature is not ready for production release.
Note: If you have questions about WPML options or encounter errors with WPML plugin please contact their support team. If you have questions or need help with WPML related to KB and its articles and categories, please contact KB support.
For more details on individual functions for WPML and configurations beyond the Knowledge Base. See WPML help:
Warning: WPML offers many ways to setup a multilingual site. Some configuration options might not work with Echo KB and will not be supported. However, the following configuration has been tested successfully.
Note that Access Manager does not support WPML.
- KB plugin is installed and active
- Install WPML Multilingual CMS plugin
- Activate WPML Multilingual CMS plugin
- Install WPML String Translation plugin.
- In order to translate text on the user-facing website, such as search button text, you have to purchase and install WPML String Translation plugin.
- Activate WPML String Translation plugin.
- Go to WPML -> Languages Menu and follow the Setup WPML
2. Post Types Translations
3. Taxonomies Translations Part 1
4. Taxonomies Translations Part 2
- For KB Category, click on the blue link to open translation for category slug
- For each language, set its name for “category” word.
- In this example we have changed the English word “category” to the French word “catégorie“
- For KB Tag, click on the blue link to open translation for category slug
- For each language, set its name for “tag” word
- In this example we have changed the English word “tag“to the French word “étiquette“
- Click the Save button.
5. Enable WPML in Knowledge Base
6. Edit the KB Main Page
7. Translate KB Main Page
When on the page with KB shortcode, go to the right sidebar and choose to either:
- “Translate” each language
- Enter your knowledge base title in given language
- You have to manually enter the KB shortcode.
- “Duplicate” each language
- Adjust your knowledge base title in given language
Difference between Translate and Duplicate is explained here: Translate vs. Duplicate
8. Add and Translations for Categories
Go to Knowledge Base ► Category Screen
- If necessary select your main language (top admin bar or link above category list)
Click “add” (see screenshot pointer) to create your translation of this category for each language
If you prefer to use WPML’s “Taxonomy translation” admin page you must save any KB Category after you add translations to let KB process the updates.
Tags translation works the same way.
9. Add Translations for Articles.
Go to Knowledge Base ► All Articles page
If necessary switch to your main language using top admin bar or links above articles table
- Click on the Plus sign for the language you want to translate the article to
- Translate the article
- Assign the language categories
If you do not assign any category to the article, the article will not appear on the KB Main Page.
On the All Articles page, if you do not see any KB Articles or are missing KB Articles, you can try to refresh WPML tables:
- Backup your database
- Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting Page -> Set language information.
10. Add Menu Language Switcher (Optional)
Go to WPML ► Languages ► Menu Language switcher
- Click on the button “+Add a new language switcher to a menu”
11. Translate strings from KB Configuration (administrative text)
Go to WPML ► String Translation screen
- Select the “admin_texts_epkb_config_1” from Select strings within domain
- Select the String you wish to add a language string.
- Click on the translations text.
- Enter in your language alternative text.
- Check the Translation is complete checkbox.
- Click the save button.