Setup WPML for Knowledge Base
Ensure that you have the latest version of the WPML software installed.
Note: If you have questions about WPML options or encounter errors with WPML plugin please contact their support team. If you have questions or need help with WPML related to KB and its articles and categories, please contact KB support.
For more details on individual functions for WPML and configurations beyond the Knowledge Base. See WPML help:
- KB plugin is installed and active
- Install WPML Multilingual CMS plugin
- Activate WPML Multilingual CMS plugin
- Install WPML String Translation plugin.
- In order to translate text on the user-facing website, such as search button text, you have to purchase and install WPML String Translation plugin.
- Activate WPML String Translation plugin.
- Go to WPML -> Languages Menu and follow the Setup WPML
2. Post Types Translations
3. Taxonomies Translations Part 1
4. Taxonomies Translations Part 2
- For KB Category, click on the blue link to open translation for category slug
- For each language, set its name for “category” word.
- In this example we have changed the English word “category” to the French word “catégorie“
- For KB Tag, click on the blue link to open translation for category slug
- For each language, set its name for “tag” word
- In this example we have changed the English word “tag“to the French word “étiquette“
- Click the Save button.
5. Enable WPML in Knowledge Base
Go to the Main page of you KB , and open up the Front End editor .
Go to the gear icon.
Make sure you turn on WPML and save.
6. Edit the KB Main Page
7. Translate KB Main Page
- “Translate” each language
- Enter your knowledge base title in given language
- You have to manually enter the KB shortcode.
- “Duplicate” each language
- Adjust your knowledge base title in given language
Difference between Translate and Duplicate is explained here: Translate vs. Duplicate
8. Add and Translations for Categories
- If necessary select your main language (top admin bar or link above category list)
Click “add” (see screenshot pointer) to create your translation of this category for each language
If you prefer to use WPML’s “Taxonomy translation” admin page you must save any KB Category after you add translations to let KB process the updates.
Tags translation works the same way.
9. Add Translations for Articles.
If necessary switch to your main language using top admin bar or links above articles table
- Click on the Plus sign for the language you want to translate the article to
- Translate the article
- Assign the language categories
On the All Articles page, if you do not see any KB Articles or are missing KB Articles, you can try to refresh WPML tables:
- Backup your database
- Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting Page -> Set language information.
10. Add Menu Language Switcher (Optional)
- Click on the button “+Add a new language switcher to a menu”
11. Translate strings from KB Configuration (administrative text)
Go to WPML ► String Translation screen
- Select the “admin_texts_epkb_config_1” from Select strings within domain.
- If you have KB add-ons, you will also have option to select “admin_texts_asea_config_1“, “admin_texts_elay_config_1” or “admin_texts_eprf_config_1“
Note: if you have KB #2 or higher that you need to setup with WPML, select KB # e.g. “admin_texts_epkb_config_3“
- Select the String you wish to add a language string.
- Click on the translations text.
- Enter in your language alternative text.
- Check the Translation is complete checkbox.
- Click the save button.
Ensure you have the text string written in your original language in Text Wizard.
For each language, user Ordering Wizard to sequence your language categories and articles.
You might also need to select this option if you are having trouble with article links in one language going to another language:
12. Troubleshooting – read before submitting a ticket
Problem: Category Archive Page shows 404 or nothing found message.
Solution: The category has no articles assigned to it. Assign article to the category or handle case where category has no articles assigned.
Problem: On the All Articles page, if you do not see any KB Articles or are missing KB Articles, you can try to refresh WPML tables.
- Backup your database
- Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting Page -> click on button called “Set language information”.
Problem: Translations are not working.
Solution: Ensure that you have installed the latest version of WPML plugins.
Problem: Some strings, like those in the Search box, are in English rather than in my default language.
Solution: Ensure that your strings are in the default language in frontened Editor -> Content tab (select the text on the screen right side and edit it in the left sidebar of the Editor).