2.1 KB Groups
Each KB Group is a collection of all users that have interest in and need to access the same content.
KB Roles are assigned to users within each KB Group.
You can create KB Groups and assign your users to those groups. Each user within his/her group has a specific KB Role: KB Subscriber, KB Contributor, KB Author, KB Editor or KB Manager.
If you have the Custom Roles add-on then you can also map custom WP Roles to KB Groups and Roles.
Examples of KB Groups:
Premium Content Website
- Bronze Level
- Silver Level
- Gold Level
Internal and External Content
- Teaching Assistants
Both KB Managers and WP administrators can assign users to KB Groups.
WordPress Roles Mappings
When Access Manager plugin is installed, it will start to map WordPress build-in Roles to KB Roles automatically. However if KB Groups plugin is active, WordPress build-in Roles will not be mapped because KB Groups will be used instead.
With Custom Roles add-on, WordPress built-in Roles and custom Roles can be mapped to specific KB Groups and KB Roles. Users with each WP Role will automatically be considered to be part of a mapped KB Group with a given KB Role. See Custom Roles add-on.
Custom Roles add-on is useful if you have e.g. shop Roles that need access to certain KB content and you do not want to manage these users manually within the KB Group.
KB Group Types
- Public group is a KB Group that represents site visitors and determines what KB content (if any) the public has access to.
- Restricted groups are KB Groups created and configured by administrators and KB Managers. Restricted groups contain only WordPress registered users with access to selected or all KB content.
Rules for KB Groups
- Administrators and KB Managers do not belong to any KB Group.
- Each WordPress user can be assigned to one or more KB Groups.
- Users within a KB Group can have only one KB Role.
- KB Categories and KB Articles can be accessible to one or more KB Groups.
KB Public Group
- There is always one Public “group” per Knowledge Base.
- The administrator and KB manager selects which categories and articles will become public.
- Every site visitor that (whether logged in or not) has access to all Public articles and categories.
KB Restricted Groups
- Each restricted group has its own name, users and access to some or all KB content.
- Each restricted group has one or more KB Subscribers, KB Contributors, KB Authors, and KB Editors.