A typical Knowledge base (KB) has a large number of articles. Users need an easy and quick way to find an article. Articles can be organized into hierarchies using categories and sub-categories.
When To Use Categories As Opposed To Tags
Tags, like Categories, help organize and categorize articles. However, Categories group articles together based on the most important topic or feature of the article is focused. Tags identify articles based on certain key words found in those articles..
Both categories and tags can be used in the advanced search filter (add-on) to focus on specific topics and categories related to what the user is looking for.
Difference between the usage of Categories and Tags:
- Category – groups articles based on common a topic or feature. Example categories: Cats, Dogs, Birds, Fish
- Tag – identifies article based on important keyword(s) or less important topic and feature within the article. Example tags: four-legs, two-feet, land, ocean
Using Categories and Sub-Categories
Categories and sub-categories define how:
a) articles are grouped together, and
b) the overall hierarchy and organization of the knowledge base
If your knowledge base has too many articles or a complex topic, both categories and sub-categories are recommended and Tab Layout can be a good option to consider.
Note: If your knowledge base grows in the future you can change the category hierarchy and the structure of the KB Home page to display the new structure.
1. How to setup Categories.
Follow the steps below and this will allow you to create KB Categories.
- Go to Knowledge Base
- Go to Categories
- Create your category
- Name: Enter Category name
- Slug: The URL name of the category, leave blank and WordPress will assign it accordingly.
- Parent Category, if you want to assign this as a child category choose the parent.
- If this Category is the Top category and you wish to display it’s description enter it here.
- Click on the button to Add New category.
2. Style the category in KB Configurations.
Navigate to the KB Configurations on how to setup the categories.
- Go to Knowledge Base
- Go to Configurations
- Go to Main page
- Go to Tuning
- Go to Categories box and choose style.
- Style: Controls things like: ( Icons, Divider, Description, Link type, alignment etc.. )
- Colors: Controls all the colors of the category like text and icons and borders.
- Text: You can change the Empty category notice.
- Advanced: Has padding and border settings.