2.2 KB Roles
KB Role defines a set of capabilities that a user assigned that role is able to perform for that specific group. For example, a KB Subscriber can view an article but cannot edit the article.
KB Roles are separate from WordPress Roles, although they have similar capabilities. See below about mapping of WordPress Roles.
Unless Custom Roles add-on is used and configured, WordPress Roles have no effect on a given user’s access to KB. For example, a user can have a WordPress Subscriber Role but be a KB Manager. Or, a user with a WordPress Editor Role can be just a KB Subscriber with no editing capabilities.
Each user can have only one role within one group but different roles across groups. For example, a user can be a KB Editor in a Teacher group and a KB Subscriber in the Office group.
Additional details about each role:
- KB Subscriber
- This is the lowest role with the fewest privileges.
- Users can read content his/her group has access to but not change any KB content.
- KB Contributor
- This is similar to the WordPress Contributor role.
- The user can only edit and submit articles for Editor to review.
- KB Author
- This is similar to the WordPress Author role.
- The user can create and edit their articles but not create or edit categories or edit others’ articles.
- KB Editor
- This role is similar to the WordPress Editor role.
- The user can create, edit, and delete any article that has at least one category that the user’s group owns.
- The user can create, edit, and delete any category that his or her group owns.
- KB Manager
- The user in this role is considered to be an “administrator” for a given knowledge base.
- For multiple Knowledge Bases, the manager controls all of them.
- Unlike WordPress administrator, the KB Manager cannot access KB licenses.
WordPress Role Mapping
With Custom Roles add-on, WordPress built-in Roles and custom Roles can be mapped to specific KB Groups and KB Roles. Users with each WP Role will automatically be considered to be part of a mapped KB Group with a given KB Role. See Custom Roles add-on.
Custom Roles add-on is useful if you have shop Roles that need access to certain KB content and you do not want to manage these users manually within the KB Group.